Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Communications of the Internet

I learned a lot about Wikis, Social Networks, Rss Feeds, and Social Bookmarking throught the recent presentations. One of the common similarities of all of the topics was how they give the user control over the information online.

For example; on my blog I learned how to subscribe to another blog using the RSS feeds, and this will show me only the specific news that I subscribed too. For example, I subscribed to the latest on CNN which allows me to only get information that I want, and eliminates sorting through news, and RSS feeds make the news extremely accessable to locate.

Social Networking allows a person to create a profile to share personal and proffesional information. This allows a person to control what goes onto their profile, and who they're friends are. When trying to find a job you can post your resume and get recognition. I use Social Networking to Facebook, and I have over 1,000 pictures tagged and 46 albums and over 1,000 friends. This way I can talk to my friends, share, pictures and information.

Social Bookmarking is similar to bookmarking on your own computer, the difference with social bookmarking is that you can save your to a page online, that is visible for others to see. For example, Digg is a site where you can search and locate articles. I don't use Social Bookmarking in my own life, I don't have the time to keep up a page and search for people who have common interests.

Wiki's are really cool, if I do say so myself. I learned that a wiki allows for multiple people to edit a document at the same time, without email. It immediately updates itself when you press save. A really neat site we showed in our presentation was common craft , it showed how a wiki can be used.

All of these techniques can be used to share and obtain information. To view presentations on these topics click this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment