Wednesday, December 2, 2009

How Colleges are doing their job with Obesity...




Recently while researching for my research paper I came across a new rule that an education the levels of obesity to decrease. I've read about Elementary School's, Middle School's, and High School's working to eliminate obesity, but I've never heard about a college, until now. Lincoln University, in Pennsylvania, is requiring all students who cross into the obesity range must take a 1 credit gym class.


This is a fascinating concept; grownups are required to do something about their weight in order to graduate. Professor, Dr. Vyonne Hilton disagrees with the BMI requirements, he says that there should be a different approach to what they are trying to accomplish. Some students also argued that their weight has no bearing on their education, their ability to do well so it shouldn't stop them from graduating. So the question is does the University have the right to put a hold on on diplomas because of weight?


Another question I want to address is if we are given the choice on what we eat, and we choose the wrong one, or the less nutritious, than who is at fault, and who has the right to punish us for this? Should parents be at fault for not educating parents, or should it lay in the hands of children? These are things that I will be answering as I discover more cases of nutrition in America.
The picture in the upper right corner is a sad example of obesity in the US. Although it was found on lol101.com, I don't find it particularily funny. This is an interesting point; if we dont take obesity seriously, how will it ever get better?
Thanks to Mr. Miller for emailing me the article!

No comments:

Post a Comment